About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Human Remains

Have you ever walked up to a bathroom sink, reached for the faucet, looked down at the basin, and found yourself mortified and nearly unable to finish the task of washing your hands, preferring instead to use the trusty hand sanitizer you keep in your purse, pocket, car door, coat, and hidden away in every cache' imaginable for just such an emergency, due to the unsightly and alarming amount of human hairs - both stubble and lengthy, mixed with toothpaste glob, and some other mucus like mixture left by those who preceded you to the facility?  Even if only one of the aforementioned anomalies is present, it is such an assault on the senses and psyche that you are scarred for the day and left to your own devices for ensuring your personal health and sanitizing.

What about the shared work kitchen space, and the food remnants that cling to the stainless steel sides and seemingly clog the drain spout. What was that, bread? rice? tofu? some kind of meat by-product? What is that smell? Why?

What is it about public spaces that make people think...I know, I'll just leave my mess for someone else to deal with.  Or maybe...that's what their home is like.....excuse me while I take a moment....I think I just threw up in my mouth and I don't want to spit and leave it in the sink.

This is why I avoid public restrooms and shared kitchen spaces.  This is why I fight the urge to go during the day and I am obsessively prepared with my hand sanitizers and baby wipes.  This is why I never made a good roommate with others, or shared space with people as a young adult. The simple task of rinsing a toilet bowl, a sink basin, running a garbage disposal, or wiping up behind ones self, takes no effort and shows immense courtesy to those who follow.  No one wants to share in your phlegm, your bloody toothpaste, the stubble from your chin, the stray hairs from god only knows where. We have no desire to taste test or smell the food particles from this mornings breakfast, or yesterdays lunch, or heaven forbid the curdled milk you left sitting at your desk all week. Is that mold in your coffee cup?

Be it the work place, or shared home space, courtesy is kindness and it goes a long way. If it were in the lease or on your job performance review and tied to a financial penalty or reward, you can be damn sure people might take it more seriously.  How about doing it, just because it's the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment