About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Spring has Sprung - Is it Ragweed or Cherry Blossoms?

I am one of the lucky ones. I see the dogwood pollen floating on the breeze like little tufts of cotton candy, and I find myself visually following its' path to see where it lands. Its actually mesmerizing.  The local news anchors (when I can stand to tune in to their nonsensical ramblings about non-news items) talk about today's pollen count and I passively file the information away for conversation should any of my allergy riddled friends mention their own struggle and plight.

As for me,  yesterday on my across the courtyard at work I saw a mother duck with her young ducklings as they waddled across the pathway in front of me and as I yielded the right of way to my foul friend, I thought how quintessentially spring  this moment was.  It was new life, new beginning, another year, and new cycle fresh and sweet. They come every twelve months give or take a few days or weeks depending on that rodent Phil and his shadow, and it gives us all time to hit the refresh button.

We plant new gardens....change it up and stay the course.....it's all about opportunity. Do we plant the same tried and true, or do we explore something zany and new? Do we want cherry tomatoes or heirlooms, or maybe this year we want tomatillos?  How about Herbs, or maybe just flowers? What magic potions or pretty pictures do you plan to creatively design this season?

Spring means 70's and sunshine one day and 50's and grey skies the next.  But spring also means that everyday something new is blooming in my yard, and in the fields outside my office window.  The smell of fresh mowed grass is in the air and somewhere in the distance I can hear another lawn being shorn. 

At night I can hear crickets again and I think there are frogs somewhere nearby too, though I don't know where a water source might be? Everything is waking up from the cold winter months, and yet I can still enjoy the coziness of one last fire in the hearth and a warm blanket to snuggle under in the evening.

I don't mind the blooms and dogwoods, the invisible villain they name 'Pollen'. I see Cherry Blossoms and Mother Ducks and I'm reminded that every spring life reboots.


No comments:

Post a Comment