About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

You made Me a Better Person

Today I lost a sister, Elizabeth Dawn Feezell Goss. She passed sometime in the night and her husband found her this morning. I face the harsh reality that life is fragile and all those tomorrows we wait for and count on, may never come.

Marcus loved Dawn so very much. He took care of her and he adored her. He was patient and kind and she was lucky to have him. His heart breaks at the uncertainty of life without her, and I ache for the pain I know he feels.  Dawn struggled with serious health issues for some time, Lupus, Thyroid,  Fibroid-Mialgia, & Asthma to name a few, but she was happy and always had positive things to say when she and I connected.

Over the years I haven't been very close with my own siblings and at times I have felt very alone. Dawn was my cousin, but she became a sister  to me.  The last time I saw her, I was dropping her off at the Airport on her way home from a follow up surgery related to her recent hip replacement. As Dawn hugged me goodbye that day, she held me tight and looked me in the eyes and simply said "I am your sister, nothing makes me prouder".

We connected regularly, sometimes daily, sometimes every couple of days. We talked about love, and children, and life. We laughed and cried, and she encouraged me through one of the most difficult experiences of my life when my Wyatt moved to California for a short while in 2011.  She never let me give up, and I loved her for it.  I was there for her when her mom passed only a month ago, and she was one of the most courageous people I knew.

This year we were planning to spend Thanksgiving together. We were both so excited for the holiday and connected every day, sometimes several times a day just to plan the menu.  On the agenda was cooking side by side, family games, laughter, some late night girl talk, the exchange of childhood memories, and joy. 

I am so sad that we will not be able to see it through. I am sad for Marcus, as I know this will be very difficult for him. I will pray for peace and comfort to envelop him and calm him. I will pray for courage as he faces the days and weeks ahead. I am sad for her sons, and the loss of a mother who loved them endlessly. For her grand babies who will never get to know the comfort and love of her boundless adoration for them. I am sad for her father and her brothers who lost a daughter and a sister. She will be missed by so many.

I rejoice that she is with my Aunt Pat, her mother, who will welcome her.  Who better to share eternity with, while waiting for other loved ones, than a mother with her  daughter. I rejoice in the peace of knowing Dawn is no longer sick. Her body is once again whole and complete and she is free. Dawn has passed the test and
is beginning her next adventure on the road to eternity. I will hope for an easier path this time.

I loved Dawn and though my heart breaks at the absence she has left in my heart and those who knew and loved her, I know my sorrow is selfish. It is for me and my loss.  It is normal, I understand that, and the tears will flow for a while, but in the end, I will embrace that she is blessed. Her journey here is complete, and a new one begins. How exciting for her.

Rest Easy Dawn.  I will be forever grateful for the time we had to become reacquainted and not just friends but sisters.  I Love You Always! You made me a better person.



2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss Lisa. That is so very sad. I have a feeling that she has read what you just wrote, and is smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. We were headed to her home for the first "family Thanksgiving" we have had in many years. I was so sad to receive Marks call telling me she had passed. I will truly miss her wise counsel and wonderful encouragement. She had such a big heart. Outspoken and bold but one of the kindest people I know.

      Delete