About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Weather Proofing

What measures do you take to prepare for the winterizing of your home and life?

In the Midwest they install storm windows and doors which are intended to add an extra layer of protection and insulation from the freezing temperatures and storms.The have heaters in their driveways to melt the ice and snow.

When I was a little girl I lived the high deserts in California.  We were surrounded by mountains and winter could get very cold and windy since we were essentially in the bottom of a geographic bowl. My mother always added extra blankets to the beds.  We disconnected the water from the swamp cooler and lit the pilot light on the Wall Heater in the Hallway. My mother also covered the Bedroom Windows in aluminum Foil.  I know it sounds really odd, but she said it kept the wind and cold out and the heat in.  I remember placing my hand on the window and feeling how cold the foil was and it made me wonder just how effective it really was.  Even with the windows covered I could hear the wind howling and it made such an eerie sound I was always on edge and afraid.  I never liked the wind.  In addition to keeping the weather out, the foil over the windows also kept the light out and created a very dark place for the winter months.  I think if I was prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) I would have been heavily hit in those early years. Throughout the winter months the foil remained and if it was torn or damaged my mother replaced it.  It was a little disconcerting spending so much time in a room without a window, but it was our winter weatherization and I always knew with spring would come the sunlight again.

In Yorba Linda we didn't really have a need to winterize.  The seasons were for the most part indiscriminate. they Rolled from one into the other and the only signs of winter were slightly cooler temps. Because Orange County lacked the "freeze" we didn't lose the trees and the grass for the season like other regions do.

In the Northwest we do some weatherization. We disconnect our water hoses and put Styrofoam caps over the faucets to insulate them from the freezing temperatures.  We add extra blankets to the beds. We store the oscillating fans for the winter and break out the portable space heaters and we turn the furnace on.  Some houses still heat on oil, so the oil tank is filled. we clean out the fireplaces (if we have one) and we put the locks in the windows which are already double paned for the seasons.  If we have storm doors and windows we install them, though they are not as necessary here as in the Midwest so many people don't have them. We clean the rain gutter of leaves and debris, and we make sure sheds have Dry-z-air in them to absorb the water in the air and safeguard our storage items.

Jeff begins his seasonal regimen of starting my car for me each workday morning so that it has time to warm up and any ice on the windows is melted and cleared before I leave for work.  The house heater kicks on every morning with the alarm alarm clock and we find ourselves using throw blankets for that extra touch of snuggle warmth when we sit to read a book or watch TV in the evening.  We open the windows and blinds less and less to keep the cold out and the warmth in and table lamps replace the natural lighting we rely on in the spring and summer months.  Time changes and we experience shorter days, as the trees lose all their leaves and the grass becomes dry and crunchy under our feet with the cold.  Instead of sandals we wear boots and short sleeve shirts are replaced with sweaters.

I love living in a place where I can tell the difference between the four seasons.  Each Season has its characteristics and they are all easily recognizable and equally wonderful.

Some people are affected by the shortened days and lack of sunlight, but like my Brandon, they have UV lamps and there are ways to combat the SAD.  I don't mind the winter.  I find beauty in each season and appreciate the cycle and change throughout the year.


2 comments:

  1. Well, that post just went to lala land. Crap.
    Let me try again.
    We have the wood stove cleaned out by a chimney sweep every year or two. Cover the outside spigot. Take out the A/C from the windows. Spray for outside spiders. Buy wood stove logs. Vacuum out the heater vents, and change the heater filter. Brace ourselves for sky high electric bills. Wash jackets. Buy new slippers. Read more. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a wood burning stove. Love that. ;)

      Delete