About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Attic Mice

Attics and basements, though once common place in nearly every home, are now relegated to older homes or homes built in regions with varying degrees of extreme weather.  We have both attics and Basements here in the northwest, but they are primarily found in only older homes. New houses don't seem to see the need or cost justification in including them in the build spec.

Attics and basements, both, provide a very beneficial element to a home. They can be used for extra storage space, or extra entertainment or living space depending on how large the area is and to what degree it is  "finished".

When we moved closer to Portland almost two years ago, I initially wanted a home with a basement in it. Price was my opponent at the time, and we found we simply couldn't afford the older cottage style homes in the right neighborhood with either a finished or unfinished basement. I wasn't picky, I would have taken either, but they were significantly out of my price range.

We found a small but cozy house instead with attic space.  Its actually quite roomy and stores a significant amount although it does require a crawl stance because there is genuinely no room to stand.  I like my attic for the storage and easy access it provides, but I do have my concerns.

Yesterday I required access and time in the attic to retrieve some historical family records.  There are a few observations I would like to share. In the summer, the attic is hotter than heck. If you ever want to lose 10 pounds of water weight, climb up in my attic in the middle of summer. In fifteen minutes or less you will sweat pounds away but be be careful climbing down. The ladder can be dangerous when you are light headed from near heat stroke.

In the Winter, my attic is quite the opposite, it is cold, very cold. Mittens and Scarves might be appropriate.

Also I don't like tight spaces and although the attic is roomy as attics space goes, it is still a confined space, and I don't appreciate the panic and anxiety I feel when I am up there. Limited space, dark corners, the potential for spiders. Not necessarily an environment for tranquility and meditation.

And so I think of others who have spent their time in attics and basements. Basements are usually relegated to the horror film and you may find chains and bodies and inbred mutants lurking behind that support beam. Attics are more common in literature and pop culture. Anne Frank and her whole family spent time in an attic. Serious props, because even though it was a survival necessity, they had a whole family hidden up there. Cinderella, she kept it clean and organized and even made friends with the mice (who can forget Gus Gus).  Me, If I see a mouse, the exterminator will be paid a pretty penny to make certain Gus Gus and all his friends are dearly departed.  And then there was Flowers in the attic, who would lock four lovely mischievous children in an attic just to gain a little wealth?  OK Stupid question, too many people to write about.  Sad but True.

Chevy Chase got stuck in the attic during National Lampoons Family Christmas, and The Grudge had hidden corpses in the attic.

In the end , I  like my attic space, but I don't think I'll be spending any unnecessary time up there.  Simply not my cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. With 3 men in the family, why would you even consider going up there? My luck, I'd be home alone and the ladder would fall and I'd be stuck up there for hours. Be sure to bring your cell phone with you next time, just in case. Hello, 911? I'm stuck in the attic!! And I see mice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, if it can happen in a corn maze, it can happen in the attic. Jeff actually threatened to take the ladder down and close the panel, I almost cried. Good thing he was kidding. If I send he or the boys in the attic to look for something they mess everything up and don;t put anything back. And to top it off, they don't find what I'm looking for. If you want something done right.....Suck it up, face your fears and do it yourself. :)

      Delete