About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Namaste

Every morning as I get ready for work, Jeff starts my car for me so that it has time to warm up, not because the engine needs it, but because he wants me to be comfortable when I get in and start my drive. Sweet right?  I know, lucky girl and spoiled too.

Each morning , no matter what he is doing, he joins me as I get ready to leave the house and gives me a hug, walks me to the door, steps outside and waits until I am out of the gate.  He always tells me to have a good day in some form, and I can tell you honestly that the few days this hasn't happened because we are cranky, or upset, the handful of days (yes i can literally count them on 1 hand) I miss my morning farewell, my day usually goes like crap.  This ritual really does set the tone and temperature of my days success. Its one of the things I love him for.

This morning instead of saying , "have a nice day", Jeff being silly said "Namaste".  he then asked what exactly it meant. You see he only said it because it sounded similar to have a nice day so he thought he'd try it.

Now don't panic, neither of us is jumping into Hindu, but I thought about it and it is actually is a very  pleasant and respectful salutation.

I thought I would share with you the meaning of Namaste and its origin and use around the world.


Namaste (formal: Namaskar/Namaskaram) is a common spoken valediction or salutation originating from the Indian subcontinent. It is a customary greeting when individuals meet, and a valediction upon their parting. A non-contact form of salutation is traditionally preferred in India and Namaste is the most common form of such a salutation. The prefer not to hug, (so Jeff's hug prior to his declaration of Namaste sort of invalidated it). When spoken to another person, it is commonly accompanied by a slight bow made with hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointed upwards, in front of the chest. This gesture, called Añjali Mudrā or Pranamasana, can also be performed wordlessly and carries the same meaning.

Namaste is derived from Sanskrit and is a combination of two words, "Namaḥ" and "te". Namaḥ means 'bow', 'obeisance', 'reverential salutation' or 'adoration', and te means 'to you' (dative case of 'you'). Therefore, Namaste literally means "bow to you" translated as "I bow to you".  'Namaskar' is derived from Sanskrit and is a combination of the two words, "Namaḥ" and "kaar". As noted above, "Namaḥ" is a salutation. "kaar" means 'form' or 'shape' and refers to the phenomenon that the other entity (person) presents. Thus, the older salutation essentially means "I salute [your] form", which implies an understanding that all beings in this existence are part of the surface phenomenology of Maya and that beyond the surface, so to say, all beings are part of Brahman, or the One ultimate essence that underlies all.

In India, Namaste is a friendly greeting in written communication, or generally between people when they meet. When used at funerals to greet the guests, the verbal part is usually omitted. When the hand position is higher, it usually means reverence for worship. Thus, The expression with hands placed on top of one's head is usually the sign of utmost reverence or respect.

The aayubowan (meaning: wish you a long life) gesture is also a cultural symbol of Sri Lanka and Sri Lankan hospitality. In Nepalese culture, namaste is performed when a younger family member meets older relatives. It also varies depending upon social status and prestige. The person with lower status or prestige performs namaste first to show respect for the higher station the other person has achieved. In Sikh scripture, Namaste, Namastung or Namastvung is referenced as salutation to the Primal being, the One God. The salutation is followed by an attribute respecting a quality of the creator of all religions, Akal. Sikhs also fold their hand as in Namaste, but their greeting is Sat Sri Akal. In Sindh, Pakistan, the añjali mudra, though extremely rare, is still maintained even by Sindhi Muslims. The gesture is widely used throughout Asia and beyond. It first appears c.4000 years ago on the clay seals of the Indus Valley Civilization.

In Houston, Texas, USA, American football star Arian Foster of the Houston Texans uses the Namaste gesture after every touchdown.

As it is most commonly used, Namaste is roughly equivalent to "greetings" or "good day," in English, implicitly with the connotation "to be well". As opposed to shaking hands, kissing or embracing each other in other cultures, Namaste is a non-contact form of respectful greeting and can be used universally while meeting a person of different gender, age or social status.

The gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra.The gesture is an acknowledgment of the soul in one by the soul in another.

I'm fairly certain that Jeff (nor I for that matter) truly understood the  meaning of Namaste when he used it this morning.  But I kind of like it.  Although I am much more fond of the contact greeting and farewells (I'm a hugger, just ask anyone), I see no reason why I can't do both. Hug and say Namaste.  I think I'll add it to my repertoire, right there next to 'Merry Meet, Merry Part, & Merry Meet Again'. I think I'll start with this sweet gopher. 

4 comments:

  1. or .. "the goddess in me sees the goddess in you!"

    *bowing ... namaste, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always! Namaste, :) (and I throw a hug in even though its inappropriate). Love you.

      Delete
  2. When Rod leaves for work, and since I'm still in bed with my sleep apnea mask on, we shake hands goodbye. Better than just a wave... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me smile on an otherwise difficult day. Thank You.

      Delete