About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Trust

I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you” – Friedrich Nietzsche

For some people, trust comes as easy as breathing. And then there are others that require substantial proof and take a much longer time to give it. I refuse to use the term “faith” in this case because i see it as something that is entirely in a different level than trust. Faith is consistent. Faith is unwavering and unquestionable. Faith is deeply rooted; embedded in your very being. If you have faith in someone, that means that no matter the trials thrown your way, your faith is still intact and more often than not, this is what you hold on to, look forward to, and rely on to get yourself out of the muck. Faith means hope. It gives you the needed reassurance that surely tomorrow will be better; it consoles you to keep on going because it promises a certain reprieve. If faith can talk, it would probably tell you, “Hey, stop sulking already, you know he will never let you down.” It is hard to develop this kind of blind devotion in life, but if you have true faith, it can always be depended upon to set you straight in times of confusion.

Trust however is a different matter altogether. Unlike its unshakable older sibling faith, it can easily be toppled down and lost. We can even say that trust is only secondary or the middle stages of faith. First, it starts with belief- the youngest or can be liken as the newborn baby of the three. Belief is merely acceptance of something or someone with only the littlest or even no expectations. It is simply acknowledgment without attachment. Like a newborn that hardly notices or cares if his toy is replaced by another as long as he has something to be occupied with. In the eyes of a newborn, everything is the same as long as it catches his fancy. Anything will do- be it a toy, a piece of colorful embroidered blanket, a reachable thumb that feels amazing to latch on to or even several funny faces.

Trust on the other hand, is more complex and more personal. It is believing in something or someone and relying on them as you seek understanding, secrecy, comfort, and intimacy. Like an adolescent, trust is bumbling, stumbling and highly reactant to its surroundings or environment. In order to maintain it, there must be consistency in actions and deeds- a steady impetus feeding its growth. If trust is relatively new, lacking a long standing history of good deeds and memories, then it is much more fragile and apt to be lost. A single catastrophic deed can quickly banish it. If it has years of good relationship in its reserve, then it can be termed as relatively stronger in its resistance to trying situations but it may still be lost just the same. The survival and healing of trust becomes dependent on the strength and courage of  the giver but also is impacted by the extent or the magnitude of the fault done to that person. There are those who have a high degree of tolerance and patience and the ability to forgive, but then again, it is still dependent on the mistake that shattered the trust to begin with.

No matter the situation, trust should never be taken for granted. Forgiveness may eventually ensue after a fight but that doesn’t mean that trust can just be as easily restored. You may smile and say that everything’s okay now but that doesn’t mean that it didn’t leave a dent. 

Trust may be difficult and even impossible to regain after losing it so don’t do something that may lose it in the first place. The point remains that to be given trust is an opportunity to love and be loved in return. Losing trust is like throwing away love. Being trusted is a privilege given only to a chosen few so don’t waste it.

Regret is a pretty hard companion to live with.

“Trust is a fragile thing - difficult to build, easy to break. It cannot be bargained for. Only if it is freely given it can be expected in return” 

"Trust is a fragile thing, Easy to Break, easy to lose and Very hard to get back."

"Trust can take a lifetime to build, seconds to destroy, and eternity to gain back."

"Trust is like a piece of paper, once crumpled it can never be perfect again."

"Trust is very fragile and has to be really taken care of when given to you. It should never be given to everybody just like a smile that can be given to everyone. Because once it’s broken, hundreds of smiles won’t fix it."

 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have to first get to the forgiving stage. :)

      Delete
  2. I too am in a place where I have yet to get to the forgiving stage, unfortunately with my mother. What relationship we did have, will most likely never be again, and if by chance it does, it will NEVER be the same. My sister calls me the nicest, caring, most forgiving person she knows. I tried really hard to forgive, but not being able to forget ate away at me every day. Do I regret my decision? Thankfully I've moved from the 75%/25% yes/no, to the 25%/75% yes/no but its not me that it affects. I have to remember that, while keeping a secret may hurt the person in the long run, a young person may not be able to grasp the severity of the situation or even what it means. I now have two bad events involving both my parents that I will never forget, and maybe one day, 2 events that I can forgive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart is with you. Remember it takes time. I wrote a blog back when I first started this in the fall about the Forgive but never forget. Forgiving is part of the healing process, but don't over look the value and wisdom that come from remembering. Though everything leaves it mark and we may look like a dented up jalopy in the end...every dent....every scar has its value and it wisdom imparted and imprinted on those whose lives we touch. I too would love to wipe from memory some of the betrayals and trials I have faced in life, but as cheeky and stupid as it sounds, they really do impact who I am and how I treat others, in a positive way. Rather its a sibling, a parent, a lover, a friend, or simply someone else in a trusted place in our lives, pain is pain and we each do our best with it. Forgiveness is the easy part, its the where you go from there that gets tough.

      Delete
    2. In this case, I have to look out for my family and whats best for ALL of them. It's one thing to blame and accuse your own daughter, but to also blame and accuse her husband and the father of her children for different things he couldn't and wouldn't do, is hard to forget and forgive. If the children EVER found out what I, he, we, were accused of, it would be more horrible than them not being able to see her. She is miserable, sad and lonely. Everyone around her is happy and enjoying their lives, and I think that makes her even more miserable. It's a long complicated story, but for now my family is number one and I wont let anyone change that.

      Delete
    3. The best thing you can do is to always follow your instincts and protect your family. I have a strong admiration and respect for Fiercely Protective Mothers and Wives. I understand your plight. Sometimes, the best thing we can do when all else fails, is to close the door and walk away. No regrets, no guilt, no more drama! Knowing you did what was right for you and those you love can bring greater peace and resolution. Good Luck!

      Delete
    4. That's pretty much how I feel right now, no regrets, no guilt, no drama, and peace. We are a busy family, I just don't have the time to deal, dwell, or run interference of anything other than sibling rivalry.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete