About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Overkill.....

Is it just me or does anyone notice that the news stations these days all go in for overkill.  News must be light and hard to come by.  Or at least interesting news.......

I know they have hours to fill and only 15 minutes worth of real information, but my attention span is short and I get bored with the same information recycled and reordered and regurgitated a hundred and one ways.

Much like the need to get the story first, even at the risk of misinformation, they all seem to strive to keep the news alive.  Speculation becomes news worthy even if they have to retract it later.

So I appreciate and sympathize with the victims of the Boston bombing, but I am sick to death of the airtime being given to the perpetrators. If you must keep the news alive on this event, then focus on the stories of those that matter, not those who were seeking their 15 minutes of fame, which by the way... you are delivering to them on a silver platter. I'm sure they are grateful that you have legitimized their agenda.

I guess its suddenly new to have a professional athlete who acknowledges being openly gay, even if his teammates, family, and priest have known it since he was twelve. So what! This is news why? Gay or straight, does it matter? Can they do the job? Is there a difference between yesterday and today in his athleticism?  I think not!!! So I ask again.....This is news why????? The truth is, only a naive and seriously living under a rock individual could possibly assume that there is no such thing as a gay professional athlete. Being gay isn't going to impact rather or not he can throw the ball, make that tackle, sink that shot, or score that run. Are you afraid he's going to walk around the locker room with a boner or dry hump you after he tackles you?  Funny right? Stupid and ridiculous, right? So why is this news?  Stop brow beating the topic and sensationalizing it. There is no difference between gay or straight. If you thought they were a good team player and athlete yesterday, then nothing has changed. Moving on.

It seems this obsessive behavior rules the networks when it comes to nightly news. If you've got something hot off the presses, feel free to shout it to the world. In the meantime, if the story hasn't changed and you have no credible information to build on that might be interesting, then stop regurgitating the same news you told me about yesterday, and last week, and the month before.

News, it seems, has lost it's edge and its original value in our lives. Instead of informing, it is about inciting. My attention span is short and I can get more accurate and concise details from the Jesilnek Offensive than from Katie Couric.

No comments:

Post a Comment