About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Silent Night..Holy Night

Right about that time everyone is boxing up the leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner, a switch in me flips, and I find myself craving, yearning for, seeking out, Christmas music.

Some of the music is very traditional, the carols we all grew up with... and some of it is more modern, today's pop stars and artists providing their renditions of holiday cheer through melodious tunes.

Some of the songs are very upbeat and energetic. Some are about Santa and his reindeer, and some are about the true meaning of Christmas, Christ birth and the journey of that night.

This weekend as I watched the news about the tragedy in Newtown and they were airing the vigils which were taking place, I was struck by the poignant sound of Silent Night..Holy Night, which was being sung as people honored the innocent victims of a mad mans actions. And I could feel in every fiber of my soul the meaning and the power of the words and the tune. I have heard, and sung this carol my entire life, but never have the words, "...Sleep in heavenly peace...sleep in heavenly peace..." ever had more power or meaning.

So I thought about other carols that I loved as a child which seem to be fading away. Today's world focuses so heavily on the commercial and whimsical sides of Christmas, that the only place you find the meaningful carols of the Christmas story are in church. Hark the Herald, Away in a Manger, Angels we Have Heard on High, God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen, Joy to World, O' Come all Ye Faithful, O' Holy Night, The First Noel, and What Child is This.  All beautiful, artfully written and powerful in their ability to recognize and demonstrate the true meaning of Christmas.

I find myself this season, aching for the traditional religious music. I am drawn to artists I would not typically listen to otherwise, Michael Buble', Celine Dion, but I also have those which hit a chord with me from childhood, Johnny Mathis, and Bing Crosby.

With Christmas only 8 days away, I plan this year to spend each day remembering and praying for peace and comfort in the hearts of each parent along the way who has lost a child, unexpectedly, senselessly or otherwise, and hoping that as they remember the birth of Jesus Christ, and the reason for this holiday, that they find hope and love knowing that those we've loved and lost are in heaven with heavenly father and his son. God himself knows what its like to lose a child, but reassures us that a reunion awaits us all.

I don't lean heavily toward the religious these days, I have my reasons. But this week I find my roots, which seem to be more deeply grounded than I realize on a typical day to day basis, pulling tightly on my heart and spirit.

May each of you find everlasting joy this season. Joy to the World and God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen.


1 comment:

  1. Those songs do have more meaning than you realize sometimes. So sad :( The Voice sang Hallelujah last night and it was so moving.

    ReplyDelete