About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Monday, October 1, 2012

First step...Wash your hair

I've always thought it would be really cool to start my own consulting business teaching interview skills to people in search of employment. Almost every interview  I have ever had ended in a subsequent offer. I didn't always accept the positions , due to economics, atmosphere, geography, etc. but 98% of the time I get the offer.  So I deduced that I must be doing something right, Right?

Now the reality is, I could never make this actually happen,. I need a steady reliable income, not one that fluctuates and is hard to predict.  So I sit back and I quietly observe.  Its true, I CAN be quiet when I try. :)

Here are some of my observations and recommendations.

1.  Have a Resume. Very important these days.  Few employers actually have applications, most run off of resume's.  Those that still have applications also request a resume. However having a resume isn't enough. Take care to pay attention to the following:
  • Spell Check!!!! Don't look like a boob before you even get out of the starting gate.  There are 300 applicants for that job you want and if your resume has spelling and grammatical errors that are glaring, its going straight to the round file, garbage, city dump,  you know what I mean? SPELL CHECK!
  • Be creative but be honest! Don't claim to be the head of neurosurgery if you were only a candy striper.  Background checks are standard practice these days and they include, criminal history, credit checks, and education checks.  Be as creative as you want, but BE HONEST.
2. Appearance.  It's true the resume will get you the call, but then you have to follow it up with an interview.  Appearance is critical.  I have recently seen some atrocities that basically seal the coffin and bury the applicant six feet under.  Pay Attention!
  • First step - WASH YOUR HAIR!  That greasy pile on top of your head (this goes for both boys and girls) is unacceptable, unappealing, and unemployable.  Did a family of squirrels make a nest up there? I'm all for preserving wildlife, and I love squirrels, just not in your hair. Do you own a comb? Seriously, A little shampoo and a hairbrush can make all the difference. WASH YOUR HAIR1
  • Shower - Please? For the love of God, shower.  You can't hide the smell of armpit and stinky feet with cologne or perfume (girls and boys).  So shower, even if its only once a week and for your interview,  shower.  Be as Greenpeace as you want after you get hired, and I will pray that your desk is far from mine (I don't do well with bad odors), but for today SHOWER!
  • Wear clean clothes that fit and are in good repair.  For the boys, pull your pants up, wear a belt, don't show me your boxers, a nice button down shirt is preferred but if you must wear a t-shirt underneath, make sure its not offensive, no curse words, no sexist symbolism or quips.  I'm not saying change who you are, but tone it down, be a more conservative you.  For the girls,  no torn tights, or to tight dresses or too short skirts, and watch the perfume, (and cologne guys) don't bathe in it. 
  • Again - Wash your Hair.  I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but you know those dreadlocks your sporting freak people out right?  You remember how you got them?  You know, not washing your hair, natural oils, all that grossness. Have you ever smelled your head?  It's not pretty.  Don't get me wrong, its great if you want to be that hippie guy dressed in your bohemian chic, sitting in the square playing your guitar for coins.  But for a career, it may be time to WASH YOUR HAIR!
I could go on for days, and interview etiquette is whole different can of worms, but the basic first steps begin with  not presenting yourself as illiterate, and once you have the interview, brush your teeth, shave your face (Boys) and legs (Girls- although the face may apply here too, you be the judge), WASH YOUR HAIR, shower, wear clean clothes in the right size that  aren't BOHO Chic,  no undergarments exposed, Closed toed shoes (see previously blog about flip flops), Deodorant a must, light on the scent (perfume or cologne), and don't forget a firm handshake and look them in the eyes without being creepy or scary.

If you need further advice, you can always ask me.  I'm all about helping others. :)

1 comment:

  1. I wash my hair every morning. I should go on some interviews...lol..or not..

    ReplyDelete