About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Body Art or Self Expression?

The debate over tattoos and piercings gets pretty  heated in today's society, especially within the conservative religious communities,  but history indicates it has been around for more than 12,000 years.  Rather you  love or hate it, or are just simply apathetic, you can't escape the fact that they have become very common place and that they are not going away.

No one knows the exact origin of tattoos but it is believed they have been around for at least 12,000 years. Tattoos have a history on all continents and have served varied purposes. Piercings have a history that is almost as long, with some accounts at least 5,000 years old.

Tattoos are found by archaeologists across the world as they unearth our ancestors. A mummy found in the Tyrolean Alps was found to be over 5000 years old and had at least 57 tattoos that are thought to have been medicinal because they were on acupuncture points. Mummies were found between Russia and China that were dated at 2400 years old with tattoos of animals and monsters believed be decorative and to have magical purposes.Tattooing was used in Egypt from 2000 to 3000 BCE. Many of the Egyptian mummies were women who displayed tattoos across their stomachs thought to have been for fertility and to honor female deities. From Egypt, tattooing spread around the world.
 
Figurines from Japan believed to be 3000 years old show marks or engravings that symbolize tattoos of religious symbolism. Tattoos spread across southern China along the silk route. Polynesian people used tattoos extensively and believed that a person's soul is displayed in the tattoo. The Maori (New Zealand) created full-faced "moko" which showed their status, lines of descent and tribal associations. In Borneo, tattooing has been practiced for thousands of years and traditional tribal tattoos are still practiced today. In India and Thailand, tattoos were put on the body by monks who incorporated magical powers. Ancient Greeks learned tattooing from the Persians and passed it on to the Romans. Celts used permanent body paint to symbolize life's journeys.  In the 1700s, tattooing became a tradition in the British Navy. The Mayans used them as a sign of courage. In North America, aboriginal groups used tattoos to symbolize success as warriors, marital status and group identification. New York City had the first tattoo shop in 1846.

Piercings are common throughout the world and are seen on mummies at least 5,000 years old. Ear piercing is perhaps the most common, seen on every continent and worn by both men and women. Lip piercings are also universal. However, the Dogon tribe Of Mali, and the Nuba of Ethiopia were the only ones that used rings which represented the world's creation.Tongue piercing was seen in the Americas. Drawing blood in this way was thought to aid in communication with the gods. The nose has been pierced for over 4,000 years. First in the Middle East and then in India.  In the Middle East it symbolized the wealth of the family. In India it helped cut the pain of childbirth. Septum piercing has also been around for thousands of years and was widely used in warrior cultures to give the face a fierce look.

So.... love them or hate them, history has demonstrated that cultures embrace them for different reasons.  Though modern day society seems to primarily use them as a way to mark individuality and self expression. 

I confess,  I have two tattoos both designed by my son.  One is about the earth cycle, the sun the moon the stars and is marked with  the names of my children.  The other is about the elements around us, Earth, Wind, Water, Fire and Spirit.   I'm thinking of getting a third, but haven't decided yet what it should be.  My tattoos are not visible to most people. Not because I'm ashamed of them, but because I understand and respect that there are prejudices in the working world and my individualism is not necessarily my highest priority when I go to work. I simply compartmentalize my business life from my private life and try not to let the two bleed into each other.

I've had many piercings over the years,  though I will admit that piercing my face was never an interest of mine, though I respect the individual right to do so. At one time in my youth I had 4 and 5 piercings in my ears and even increased the gauge on the first two holes for a while (though never very far).  I had a few other piercings as well, but now limit myself to two per ear.

The older I get the less I feel the need to make a statement. I am confident in who I am and what I believe, and I respect the rights of others to express themselves.  Do I think that some push the limits to the extreme?  Perhaps, but it's  for them to resolve when the time comes and they decide they want to mainstream. Who am I to judge?  Throwing stones, glass houses, and all that.

My single caution, is think before you leap.  Your choice is a life one.  Make it well.

4 comments:

  1. Nope, No tattoos and no piercings. No desire either. I know, I'm so plain...lol..I don't even like to wear a necklace, watch, braclets, or earrrings. I had my ears pierced like 25 years ago and I hated wearing earrings. The only thing I do wear is my gold wedding band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what individuality is about Nancy. :) The right to express yourself in anyway you feel comfortable. If your individuality is about minimalism, then that shines too. :) I Love you exactly as you are. :)

      Delete
  2. I have 7 tattoos, all either created by me and/or represent who I am, my heritage or who my friends and family are. If I am regularly clothed, you cant see any of them which is for the same reason as you. they are my tattoos and i love to share but not everyone cares, plus id like to still be able to work long into my life. i have 5 earrings in each ear, and besides my wedding rings, that's the only jewelry i wear, so i wear all 5 pairs.

    In college i had a nose ring, which was very tiny but i found that having to pull the boogers from it got annoying and gross. I also had my tongue pierced twice, which led to me having to have oral surgery because it had worn away the gum tissue on the inside of my mouth. At that point in my life i was poor and having to pay for oral surgery sucked....lesson learned.

    Everyone is entitled to their own self expression, but even in this day and age, i still think some go too far. They are seeking attention and usually it is not the kind they should be seeking. If one day my boys want tattoos or piercings, i will give them the standard mom language (from experience), and let them make their own choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. I love that you are reading and commenting. :)

      My tongue was short lived, lasted about two years when I was through with it. Luckily it was before any damage was done.

      Delete