About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Self-Awareness and Acceptance




"When we stop judging the person we think we are, guilt will go and serenity will stay." This couldn’t say it better. I don’t know the source but I had lunch the other day with a friend of mine who practices Buddhism and I love that she is full of these little tidbits of wisdom.  That’s not to say that Buddhism has all the answers, or any religion for that matter. I think they all have bits and pieces of wisdom that can be found applicable to our lives depending on the circumstances and timing. 

It’s about self-awareness and acceptance. If you live long enough to look back on your life, you realize we all make mistakes. Don’t let your mistakes define who you are or determine who you will be. Life is about free will and sometimes we take detours along the path. Some are positive and lead to amazing discoveries, love, family, and just genuine laughter. Others are distractions and have a temporary negative impact that takes time to work your way through. But the time it takes to fight through the brambles and thorns is worth it if you chose. Each choice we make shapes us, determines who we are today.  I know I’ve made mistakes, some really big whoppers (I know this may be shock to many of you..NOT), but in the end, I have found wisdom and peace.  I know who I am and where I am, and I’m content. I stopped judging myself long ago, and realized I’m only human.  I can be a brat, but I can also be hilarious and loyal. We have to stop beating ourselves up for the past. If we keep punishing ourselves for things we can’t undo, then we miss out on the awesomeness that’s all around us every day.

Life is crazy, embrace it, and make the most of it.  Just forgive yourself and those around you. We are all in the same boat in the same storm on the same sea doing our best. The key is in not repeating the same mistakes over and over again, because that’s just stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment