About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Friday, September 28, 2012

The Perfect Friday Night

When I was 18, the perfect Friday night was an evening with my friends, cruising the Boulevard, just hanging out, laughing and flirting with all the cute boys.  Talking about who was dating who, who liked who, what we were going to do with our futures, and where we were going to be in five years.

When I was twenty something, I was pushing all the limits of my strict upbringing.  I was dancing, and hitting night clubs with my husband and our friends.  We wanted to be out and living and loving.  We drank to much, we had too much sex, and we fought too much, but we were living and that's all we thought about.

When I was thirty something, I was in full parent swing. Mom 24/7 and a Friday night out was a treat.  My husband went weekly but my Fridays were few and far between. When we went, we no longer closed the bars down, closing time was something of a fantasy, we were home by midnight and paying the babysitter. One of us had to stay sober in case the kids needed us in the middle of the night and since it wasn't going to be him , that left it to me to be the responsible parent. By the end of my thirty's I was a single parent and it would be years before I would have another fruity concoction or glass of wine.

Now I'm forty something and The Perfect Friday is very different.  My children are more grown up, one is 20 and the other 16. I no longer see the appeal of clubs and bars, to be honest crowds and small places fill me with anxiety and panic.  I don't like the stuffy air and the invasion of personal space. An evening out is usually with close friends or my man, and ends somewhere between 7:00 and 9:00 p.m.  I prefer to go home where I can change into something comfortable and relax.  An evening with my sons or my man is much preferred to the company of strangers and loud places.  A nice bottle of chilled wine, some take out, and a good show on TV, Netflix, DVD, or even a good book or a night of family games (Apples to Apples and Scattorgories are always a hit).

I think I'll leave the clubbing to the young and foolish, and I'll make the wiser more mature choice of home early and comfort.  I like to think it has nothing to do with energy or age, but simply wisdom and life knowledge.

The Perfect Friday night, is right here, with glass of wine, my blog, my pups and my kids and My man will be home soon from work to round it out to my little bit of heaven. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment