About Me

My photo
I always wanted to write a book but could never focus long enough to make it happen. Maybe this blog will inspire me. Or maybe it can be an outlet for my jumbled thoughts and opinions. You may not always agree with me, but that's o.k. I would love to hear your thoughts anyway.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Wine Tasting - Never say Nasty

Apparently its not good form when tasting wine, to spit and say "Nasty" and then, while channeling Tom Hanks in the movie Big, to grab a napkin and begin wiping ones tongue while declaring how awful the taste was and declaring "it burns, it burns".  Okay, so maybe a little exaggerated, buts it what was in my head and the "Nasty" actually happened.  The poor man who was serving us had an expression of complete disgust and shock, and I could tell he couldn't wait for us leave. I guess I had deeply offended him though that was not my intention,  I just wanted the burning in my throat to stop and to get the nasty taste out of my mouth. :)

Perhaps I should have read my Wine for Dummies book before going to the upscale winery which specialized in "Dry Red Wines".  My taste are not mature enough yet for some of the more extreme and complicated vintages and though I am learning fast, I should have known by the stuffy diction and bow tie and precisely styled comb over, that his sense of humor was not open to my style of critique.   While we were found the scenario amusing and were laughing our hiney's off as we drove away, he was no doubt busily disinfecting the glass I had used, convinced it was never coming clean again.

It may be best if I stick with the dessert wines and more novice friendly wineries for a bit.  Maybe next time I'll wear one of my hats and speak with a British accent while spitting more lady like and saying things like "its a bit dryer than I prefer" and "the tannins are very noticeable".  I'll make note of a few wine phrases and keep them in my pocket in case I get another "Nasty" wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment